Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Today me and a few friend fasted as a way to prepare for our trip. I have never fasted completely before. I can honestly say it was a great experience. Through out the day when I would get hungry or my stomach would growl I would remember why I was fasting. At that moment I would pause and pray for the people of Malawi, my friends prayer requests, and my own personal needs, such as patients at work and guidance. It is amazing how many times I prayed today because I had physical reminder through out the day. I was also surprised that instead of complaining I was hungry my mind went right to God with prayer. I didn't even get cranky! I highly recommend fasting. When Elizabeth suggested it I was quick to say, "No way I can't do this." But later that night before I went to bed I had a peace about it and I decided to trust God in getting me through the day on his bread, his word. It worked and it was very powerful for me to depend on God all day.

My prayer: Thank you God for your support today. For being my strength to say no to those two boxes of donuts in the office all day! For listening to me. For showing me how you are with me every step of my day. Help me to call out to you everyday for support, guidance, and gratitude even when I'm not hungry. Help me be hungry for a relationship with you. - Amen

No comments: